ChoiceStream respects individual privacy. If you have questions or concerns regarding this Policy, please contact us by emailing us at email@example.com or write to us at Privacy Matters, ChoiceStream, Inc., 25 Drydock Avenue, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02210.
PERSONALIZATION AND ADVERTISING SERVICES
ChoiceStream offers services that are designed to help our customers (such as advertisers or online publishers) deliver highly relevant content, recommendations, and emails to their website users and targeted advertising and promotions that are relevant to internet users. The way that information collection works, and your choices with respect to our services, are described in greater detail below.
Anonymous Information Collection and Use
We are able to provide compelling content and recommendations and targeted advertising by collecting certain anonymous information about you. We collect:
- Information about how you interact with any of our customers online, including your clicks on their online advertisements, your interaction with their emails, and your use of their websites. We primarily do this by using cookies and web beacons, which we describe below.
- Information from marketing companies and other third party data providers whose privacy policies allow them to share anonymous information about their site visitors, customers, or others with us. This may include information about consumers’ interests or purchase behavior, as well as information about their sites visits (including, for example, when they visited the pages, the content they viewed, and the links and ads that they clicked).
- Health Data Transparency. While we may collect, use and share with third parties general data related to health, we do not collect or use any information that consists of precise information about past, present, or potential future health or medical conditions or treatments. The following are examples of health-related categories for which we may collect general data: beauty, fitness, alternative medicine, headaches, allergies, sleep disorders, physical therapy, diet and weight loss, nutrition, and cold & flu.
- Transactional information from our customers. Our customers may provide us with non-personally identifiable information about your online and offline transactions and interactions with them, such as your purchases and your participation in loyalty card or reward programs. We are able to tie this information to a cookie we have set, but we are unable to use this information to identify you personally.
- Log information. When you visit an area of our customer’s website where our services are deployed, our servers automatically record non-personally identifiable information that your browser sends. These server logs include information such as Internet Protocol (“IP”) address (a unique number that is automatically assigned to your computer), the date and time, whether one of our cookies is already set on your browser, your browser type, and your interactions with our services, such as clicks on recommendations or purchases of recommended products. Your IP address provides us with geographic location information.
We combine all of this information, and our technology uses the combined information to determine the best content, recommendation, or advertisement to serve to you on behalf of our customers. We also use the information to review the use of our services and to research ways to improve them, as well as to develop new services.
What are “cookies” and “pixel tags,” and how do we use them?
Cookies are small data files that contain a string of characters, including an anonymous unique browser identifier. Cookies are stored on your computer’s hard drive and act as anonymous tags that identify your computer, but not you personally. Our servers send your computer browser a cookie when you visit an area of our customer’s website where our services are deployed or click on an advertisement delivered by us for one of our customers. A pixel tag (also commonly known as a web beacon or clear GIF) is an invisible 1 x 1 pixel that is placed on certain web pages but not on your computer. When you access these web pages, pixel tags generate a generic notice of the visit and permit us to set or read our cookies. Pixel tags are used in combination with cookies to anonymously track the activity on a site by a particular computer. When you turn off cookies, pixel tags simply detect an anonymous website visit.
Opt-Out of Tracking
You may also choose to opt out of our use of your anonymous information to determine what advertisements to show you on websites by clicking on the button below. By clicking this button, you will prevent us from tracking your online behaviors and using that data to provide personalized advertisements to you. Please note that if you do so, you will receive a persistent cookie that tells us not to recognize your browser with respect to our advertising services. Therefore, if you manually delete your cookies, you will delete the opt-out cookie as well. In addition, if you buy a new computer or change Web browsers, you’ll need to perform the opt-out task again.
ChoiceStream is a member of the Network Advertising Initiative. To visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s industry opt-out page, please click here.
We take reasonable measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of data we collect and store. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage, and processing practices and security measures. Our servers are protected by firewalls and are physically located in secure data facilities to further increase security. Of course, no security system is perfect. While we have taken reasonable measures to safeguard against the unauthorized access to, or alteration of, data we collect and store, we cannot guarantee that it will not be disclosed or accessed inadvertently or through the unauthorized acts of others.
We may share aggregated, non-personal, general information, such as how users interact with our services, how many users clicked on a particular recommendation, the average rating of a movie or music title, or how many users responded to a certain advertisement. This information does not identify you individually and cannot be used to contact you.
ChoiceStream retains anonymous user information it uses for its advertising services for 13 months, after which the information is deleted. Except as permitted by law, anonymous user information that we use for our personalization services together with aggregated, group-level data on such things as user trends and preferences is kept for an indefinite period.
INFORMATION GATHERING BY CHOICESTREAM CUSTOMERS
Our customers use our services to enhance their websites, services, advertising, and related offerings. These sites may place their own cookies on your computer, collect data, or solicit personal information. For more information about their information collection and use, please refer to their privacy policies.
SALE OF ASSETS
In the event that another company acquires all or substantially all of the assets related to the business of ChoiceStream, we reserve the right to include any or all stored customer information and anonymous user information among the assets transferred to the acquiring company.
If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence, including your email address.
ADDENDUM: CORPORATE WEBSITE INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE
Collection of Customer Information
ChoiceStream’s customers are businesses, not individuals, and our corporate website collects contact information from our customers and prospective customers who request information and/or fill out ‘Contact Us’ forms. To the extent that personally identifiable contact information (first and last name, telephone number, and e-mail address) is collected, we may use this to provide you with information that you requested, to correspond with you about any questions or concerns you have brought to our attention, or to notify you of new services or updates to our existing services. We do not share, sell, rent, or trade any of your personally identifiable information to any third party for promotional purposes or otherwise except as expressly described herein. Anyone who has provided personal contact information through ChoiceStream’s corporate website may e-mail ChoiceStream at firstname.lastname@example.org to update, delete, and/or correct their personal contact information.
Use of Customer Information
ChoiceStream does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or non-affiliated companies unless we obtain your prior consent. We may share personal information when we believe such action is appropriate to comply with law (such as legal process), to protect our rights or property, to enforce customer agreements, or to bill or collect for services. We post customer testimonials on our website which may contain personally identifiable information such as the customer’s name. We obtain the customer’s consent prior to posting the testimonial.
Third Party Websites
Our corporate website may contain links to other websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects information, including personally identifiable information.
Privacy of Children
Neither ChoiceStream’s website nor our personalization and advertising services are intended or designed to attract children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. Nor do we intentionally create, share, or collect data or segments regarding children under 13 years of age.
QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS